Saturday, January 19, 2019

Learning Empathy



A friend of mine is very sick and he happens to be the author of the bird field guide that I read a bit from each day.  I told the kindergartners that he was sick and of course they wanted to make him a card.  I put a photo of Bill Thompson III on the Promethean Board and asked the children to try to draw him.  This one looked the most like him.  Then I had the students each draw a part of the card and I assembled it to look like this.  I wrote a letter to him explaining how we felt and I sent a photo of the kids and I like the one below.

Bill liked the card so much that he posted it on Facebook for all of his fans to see.  It was the only card he posted and he had been inundated with cards and letters.  His wife said that he laughed when he saw it and it made him happy.  We really made his day!  I made sure that the kids knew that they cheered him up.  In this way, young children learn empathy for others and how their acts of kindness can cheer someone up and make a difference.




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Last Day of School!

What a great year we had in kindergarten!  The children worked so hard on their reading skills and it paid off in a big way because they ...